Wednesday 14 September 2016

The Importance of English for Me

Growing up in Singapore, I have been surrounded by neighbors of different races. From playing outside at the age of 5 to being in school as I grew up, I have been told and encouraged to speak in a common language- English. This has helped me communicate with others effectively in spite of being at a young age. Even if it was just basic English at one point of time, I realized that eventually the language itself is important in so many aspects.

Being in a family who loves travelling, it is essential that my family and I travel to countries with the knowledge of English because majority of the countries’ first or second language is English. I have come to learn that English is not only a universal language but it is also relevant especially when I am in foreign countries e.g. asking for directions. Even when the locals do not speak English, I find great pleasures in sharing with them the basics because it does make them happy. With the knowledge gained, they could either improve their skills or even communicate with other tourists easily.

Furthermore, it gives me an advantage of having unlimited access to information that is readily available in the internet, books, television etc. because most of them are in English. Speaking of which, understanding and writing English is also vital because without the integration between these three skills, everyone will be clueless. For example, a well written résumé will impress an employer, so does speaking well in an interview. Proper English portrays professionalism. Additionally, understanding the contract of employment is also important because it basically tells me what I should expect from the company.

Therefore, I believe there is no reason not to study English as it is the most spoken language in the world. While we are living in a modern world that relies on the internet most of the time, we should understand what we see, what we read and what we say all around the world in any situation.


338 words

last edited // 01:12pm, 19 Sept 2016
commented on Chris' importance of English // 14 Sept 2016
commented on Derrick's English learning journey // 9 Dec 2016

2 comments:

  1. There is clarity throughout your post pertaining to the importance of English. You could also have make longer sentences more concise and straight to the point. However, you have minor grammar errors. You have explained quite abit of content regarding the importance of English in the world.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Akmal,

      Thank you for your feedback. I will make necessary changes to it.

      Dayn

      Delete